Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> The Kraken Wakes...

This Page

has been moved to new address

The Kraken Wakes...

Wednesday 14 December 2011

Write Off
I hope you're ashamed, man
You know the author, Dan Brown? He of such laughable tomes as The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons? Well his writing is such vile and ridiculous piffle, so cliched, predictable and - pardon the technical jargon - shite that he makes me want to kick holes in the fabric of the universe in the hope that he'll be sucked through one into a parallel universe where bad authors get terrorised by the very cobblers that they've unleashed upon the world. 
Anyway, why am I mentioning this now? Because an article in one of today's newsrags, about the glorious CERN, spoke of Brown's description of the place in one of his assaults on literature. He talks of its "voluminous lobby...its bluish glass roof shimmering in the sun" and calls it a "glass cathedral" to science.
Well I call that a crock. I was in CERN back in May and it sure as shit didn't look like that to me. In fact it looked like an abandoned 70s comprehensive school taken over by wombles. As fabulous as the place is - and, by fuck, it is as fabulous as fabulous gets - Brown's description is several light years away from reality.
This just confirmed in my mind that Brown is to literature what Peter Sutcliffe is to human rights. I recall trying The Da Vinci Code when it first spewed onto the nation's shelves and got no more than 20 pages in before my brain fizzled at the appalling rape of the English language that this tome constituted. 
Perhaps, when CERN has mastered the quantum universe, we can use the knowledge to our own ends to avenge Brown's evil. Or perhaps we can just shove him into the LHC, making him and his work travel in opposite directions at almost the speed of light, colliding them until they disappear up each other's arses. Now how's that for the wonderful miracle of science?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 15 December 2011 at 06:16 , Blogger Kim Thomas said...

I visited CERN a few years ago and that's exactly what I said about it! It looked just like a large 1970s comprehensive school. Great minds...

 
At 15 December 2011 at 10:40 , Blogger The Kraken said...

No way! Nice one Kim. Don't know about you but it wasn't as grand as I expected although being there felt so exciting. I was swept off my feet by geeks.

 
At 16 December 2011 at 06:09 , Blogger Kim Thomas said...

Yes, me too, can't really say I understood it all though I screwed up my eyes very tight and persuaded myself I had at least got the gist, a feeling that lasted all of 10 seconds. Were you there on a press trip?

You've got to wonder about Dan Brown - was he too lazy to research what CERN looked like? Or did he just think his version was more interesting?

 
At 16 December 2011 at 07:29 , Blogger The Kraken said...

Aye, there's a lot of geekiness to take in. I think I get it then I try to explain it to someone else and any info I've retained evaporates. I went there for my 40th birthday, would you believe, because it had been a little dream of mine for ages. I understand if that makes me look very odd.

As for Dan Brown, God only knows. The man's writing is frigging moronic so I can't imagine what his research skills must be like.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home